Saturday, February 20, 2010

What the Hell is Em?

According to our good friends at Wikipedia;

"An em is a unit of measurement in the field of typography. This unit defines the proportion of the letter width and height with respect to the point size of the current font."

Understand?

Nope? Neither did I until I had someone simplify it for me. Basically, an em is a little box of space that a font is allowed to occupy. The height of the typeface determines the size of the box... I think. So if the typeface - by default - is 16 points high, it equals 1 em for that typeface. So 2 em would be twice that height, or 32 points high. It is NOT measured by the size of the capital 'M' in the typeface, as some people think.

Anyway, I think that's how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment